International Coaching Week was created in 1999, it belongs to everyone, thanks to the selfless legacy of Jerri Udelson.
This logo was designed by Thomas Leonard, one of the pioneers in the coaching field, and earliest sponsors of ICW as it is now known.
International Coaching Week – 1999 – to date
In 1999 Jerri Udelson created International Coaching Week. Its purpose is and continues to be about providing a dedicated week. each year, to not only educate the public about the value of working with a properly trained and professionally accredited personal, business or executive coaches. It’s also an excellent opportunity for coaches to show case best practice by freely demonstrating their skills to their clients so they can acknowledge their results and progress made as they go through the coaching process.
Coaches and training providers alike offer a wide variety of CPD based events and pro bono services in their communities during this special week; including free coaching sessions, lectures and workshops.
In an interview Jerri said “I am really pleased that so many coaches are participating in International Coaching Week. It is very gratifying to know that so many people are offering pro bono coaching and other community events in such a heartfelt way. When I started National Coaching Week (which later became International Coaching Week) in 1999, I had no idea that it would soon take on a life of its own. I really am delighted that this Week is becoming a focal point for both publicizing coaching worldwide and providing the public with a sense of the possibilities that coaching offers.”
History of International Coaching Week
- Jerri Udelson created International Coaching Week in 1999 as a way to promote the profession and professionalism of coaching
- Originally called National Personal and Business Coaching Week, it was listed it in “Chase’s Calendar of Events” (a major American PR tool) and it was held the first week of February, 1999
- In 2000 Canadian coaches wanted to participate, so the name was changed to International Personal and Business Coaching Week
- In 2001 the ICF promoted it
- In 2001, Thomas Leonard, founder of Coachville also promoted it. He created a Coaching Week page on his website, designed the ICW logo (above)
- In 2002 Thomas created a CoachingWeek.com website, and invited coaches to post their events on it.
- Jerri continues to network with the ICF, Coachville, IAPC&M and various coaches to promote the week every year
- Thomas liked the idea that Coaching Week belonged to no one particular individual or organization. As he wrote to Jerri, August 2, 2002 and said “I like your non-owned approach to CW; that way everyone can say they are a sponsor.”
“Since 2002, International Coaching Week has gained tremendous momentum. It is now celebrated with events held worldwide. I am so happy that the IAPC&M is such a big supporter”.
Jerri N. Udelson, MCC
Helping Entrepreneurs and Professionals Create Great Businesses and Lives They Love
See daily blogs, 24th April – 5th May, detailing offers to benefit from coaching and or participate https://coach-accreditation.services/blog/