As a society, we are becoming increasingly more vocal in our malaise, discontentment or fractiousness that we’re feeling inside. Most of the time, it’s relatively easy to change the circumstances that are causing this discontent, but sometimes you just have to deal with life as it is: live with the result of decisions you’ve made or come to terms with the hand you have been dealt. Sometimes life does suck, but how can we become more content with it?
The International Authority for Professional Coaching & Mentoring is the leading accreditation authority for professional coaches. Here, one of their accredited coaches, Jenny Butter, offers up 5 ways to become more content.
1. Change your mindset – it may sound impossible, but it’s not. Changing your mindset and the way you view the world will alter your happiness levels no end. Rather than waking up miserable when your alarm goes off, try to think about three things that you are grateful for. Similarly, when sitting down for dinner, share the best thing about your day with your family or on social media. These small changes will start and finish your day on a positive note.
2. Take control of your thoughts – when you’re struggling to feel happy, your mind will often lead itself down dark alleyways, causing yourself to mutter about others and feel self-critical. Try taking control of your thoughts when you’re being negative; think of something positive about yourself or someone else. Rather than always thinking that the grass looks greener, focus on watering your own backyard.
3. Surrender control – rather than trying to control a certain area or person in your life, ask if it’s truly worth your time. Do you need to control this, or can you let it go? There’s a difference between surrendering control and relinquishing responsibility. Own the release of control and embrace the freedom that it will bring you.
4. Build yourself up – happiness comes from within and you need to build yourself up. Write down compliments that you have been given and keep them somewhere you can see them to reassure yourself. Take pride in your appearance and think about what you need to do in the morning to make yourself feel confident in facing the world. If you look good, you’ll feel good.
5. Accept it – acceptance is the key to finding happiness. We’ve all made mistakes, been rejected and turned down for jobs. While it’s frustrating and sometimes humiliating, it’s also part of life. You need to spend time processing and forgiving yourself in order to prevent you from becoming frozen, stuck or bitter. You can’t go back and make a new start, but you can start right now and make a new ending.
You can meet Jenny here https://coach-accreditation.services/directories/find-an-accredited-coach-or-mentor/